Wednesday, March 30, 2011

3 Weeks Later...

Well, it has been 3 weeks now and things have settled only slightly. 
Granted we are not in Japan but we are still dealing 'daily' with what is happening there...my husband has to go back.  In THREE DAYS. 
I am not happy about it.  But it seems there is nothing I can do.  It is his job.

So...
what the world is like when you walk away from everything that you have (twice):
  • We have lived with my mom for a bit (luckily we get along so well - because moving back in with your mom at my age...could be hazardous to most peoples health)!
  • We have now moved temporarily into an apartment, as our house is occupied (we let the tenants re-sign the lease just two weeks before the earthquake)!  Great timing - I know.
  • We have had to find cars...we sold both before we moved the first time.  His company has been nice enough to 'lend' us one until the one we have ordered gets here - June.  I can't just go buy what I WANT - I have to drive something that my hubby's company makes. (and I found out the "lending" ends the day my husband leaves.)  So starts the money train.
  • We got here, safely -I might add, but with ONE suitcase each. So moving into an apartment has been a little strange. Having nothing but 4 outfits has been weird.  Not that I am being unappreciative in the fact that I made it out safe - but in the fact that the last time I moved somewhere with nothing - was in COLLEGE.  A tank top, pair of jeans and a bottle opener just don't work anymore!!           As I told my best friend...    I am not made to be a nomad!!
I guess it takes times like these to make you see what is important (if you don't already know).  And since I have been here - a pair of good winter gloves and a hat would've been nice!  But so much for 'thoughtful packing' during an emergency! 

I have had several people tell me that during an emergency - I would be someone they would want with them...well, I guess that would work if they didn't need that damn emergency back-pack, a handy winter coat or a pair of fingernail clippers.  I mean usually I am accused by husband of packing everything but the kitchen sink...and usually, I guess its true.  But being here in this apartment with nothing but someone else's furniture, four outfits, a borrowed computer and a few things from Target... I feel very unprepared.  I feel a little lost. My Type A - is having some real issues with it all!

But, we will get our stuff back, it may be 2 months or 6 months.  Depending on if they put my husband in a hotel when he returns. 
I will get my husband back, in 6 - 8 months, depending on when they decide his part in the project is over.  The big question is:  will he be the same?  Will he have been 'altered' by the radiation? (I don't care what anyone says...radiation, a small dose or a large, will change someone...Whether it is now or in the future).

LIFE IS SO UNPREDICTABLE...everyone says it, I am living proof of it.
All I can say:
count your blessings, say your I love yous and pack your damn fingernail clippers!!!


Here's to another radiation free day for my son ~
Deeds













1 comment:

Don Rodrigo said...

Hmmm...learning something new every day. I thought Japan was only populated by robots and schoolgirls? Apparently, a few Southern blondes as well...

Found you through BlogFarm. Seriously, hope you and your family are safe.

Here's my travel adventures with my pops in Vietnam: http://thefingerblog.com/blog/travelogue/chop_chop_my_ass/

Less robots, more mopeds and massages.