Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Disney Sea

I have thought and thought about how to approach this without sounding like a terrible Mother...but there really is just no way to do it.  So here it goes...
I HATED DISNEY SEA!
There.  I said it.  I meant it.  And that is just the way that it is.

Now don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVED seeing the wonder in my sons eyes when he met Goofy, Dale (of Chip-n-Dale fame), and some of the other Disney characters.  And I also was delighted in the fact that he REALLY wants to ride roller coasters (the adult coasters - not the little kiddie stuff!), but I will tell you with all honesty...the day was TERRIBLE for me!  Never-ending!

I know, I know, it is "all about the kids" ~ well yes, it is.  But how can the kids be happy when the Mommy isn't happy?  Very easily...as I found out!

So the story goes ~
 My husband has ALWAYS loved the theme parks.  When we got married I was informed that he and my two step-sons had traipsed  around the country going to ALL the big theme parks.  Well, it never really donned on me that one day - that would be part of my world.
My Mother-in-law was in Japan visiting, along with my niece and nephew.  So we decided to go to Disney Sea for the kids.  I mean, how many kids can say they went to Disneyland in TOKYO - of all places??!! Right?

So we decided on the Friday BEFORE the big holiday week here.  Two of the other couples from the USA had decided that they were going to take their kids too.  So off we go...

Friday morning.  Everybody up at 7am to get ready, eat, get toys, bags, the right shoes, sunscreen, cameras, money, maps, bus/train passes, sunglasses and every other oddity that, at the time, seemed a good idea to lug to Disneyland.
We meet at the neighbors house at 8:30am.  7 adults, 6 kids.  We all take the bus to the train station.  At Yokohama Station (this is a pretty big train station) we all follow D through a maze of ups and downs, escalators and elevators to get to the "Disney" bus stop.  They have a bus that leaves every 30 minutes - all day long- and only goes back and forth to Disney!  That part - was great!  The bus looked like a Greyhound Bus - but without the caked on grime and stinky smell.
So now - a 90 minute bus ride! Everyone was well behaved and some even took naps.  Mind you - all the kids are between 2 and 4 years old...with exception of one, eleven-year-old.  So far so good.

We are dropped off at the entrance to Disney Sea.  By now it is probably 85 degrees and its 11am.
~~~For the record, we had all done a little asking around and we were told that Disney Sea would be better than Disneyland proper.  Because: "Disney Sea has water and everything is oriented to water, so it'll be MUCH cooler than regular Disneyland."  Liars.  All of you, liars! ~~~~

We enter this very large slab of concrete to find all of the Disney characters awaiting our arrival.  First thing I thought was, my word - I KNOW that person in the suit is hating his life right now in this dreadful heat, with all these kids pawing at him.
But they were very cute and the kids were mesmerized.  Photos taken, kids happy.
(at this point we separate from the other two families.  I think since my husband's family are all pros at this amusement park thing - we were just faster at getting done.  - ie., Here meet Goofy, stand still, snap.  Next kid. Here meet Dale, stand still, smile, snap.  Look there's Mickey, he has too many friends right now - wave, blow him a kiss, we'll see him later. Let's go., etc, etc.)
Off again.
First we come to the lake.  I think, wow, actually some water.  But its gated and cordoned off so there is no chance of getting anywhere near anything that is wet.
People are starting to gather around the lake - my assumption, that a water show was starting soon.  So we decide to go towards the back of the park since everyone seemed to congregate at the entrance to figure out what they were doing and what direction to go...basically what we were doing!

The pirate ship was our first stop.
It was big, hot, with wheels and ropes. VERY uneventful.  Next, we go into The Castle. Once again, big, hot, but with LOTS of stairs. Even though the inside was cool-er, what it lacked in hot temperature - it made up for with the stairs.  Great.

We needed to ride something quick for the kids.  We rode something that resembled a bug and that went up and down and in a circle.  10 minute wait - but the breeze during the ride, made it ok. By this point it had to be 95 degrees.
Off to find drinks and another ride. We are all covered in sweat by now and we haven't even started. Next, the kiddie roller coaster, which had a 20 minute wait.  Meanwhile my son has decided to tell me that he doesn't feel good.  Lovely.
After the coaster, we decided it was time to find food and somewhere to sit.
I never thought I'd say it but Mermaid Lagoon was my savior!...
an all indoor amusement area for kids!  WHY HASN'T SOMEONE THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE? An "indoor" theme park?  Fantastic!

So we stand in line, order food, find a table - and enjoy the lovely A/C.
BTW - the menu gave the choice of a fish sandwich, fries, popcorn shrimp or sausage pizza (with corn). - Most all pizza here in Japan has some form of 'corn' on it. Weird.

Everyone's almost finished and my husband looks at me, with that "I'm going to say something you're not going to like" look. He has decided this is the time that he and his nephew go ride the 'big roller coasters'. I know it was a ploy just to get away for a bit.
So me and my mother-in-law and remaining kids ride the spinning tea-cups (20 minute wait) and then go get in line for the jelly fish ride.  20 minutes later - we are sitting in this psychedelic thing resembling a jellyfish that goes up and down SLOWLY, and that's it.  THAT'S IT. That's all it does. Even my 3 year old was unimpressed!
My husband shows back up, and a few souvenirs later - we are back out in the blazing heat.
Now we find ourselves in the Arabian Coast.  With the heat - it felt more like the Arabian Desert. I felt like I was FRYING.
A two-story carousel, a stop for six cokes, a fall off a ledge, crying, pouting and finally to Aladdin's water ride. This was pretty trippy.  You got in a boat, and rode through the 'storyland'  - it had elephants, monkeys, ninjas, good guys, bad guys, treasure, and a genie that was the size of a house.  Very creepy.  And all the singing and talking was in Japanese. So I had NO IDEA what was being said. All the while making sure my son didn't fall out of the boat in the dark!

The piece-de-resistance was the 80 minute wait for a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride that my husband talked me into...
It'll be fun, all the kids can ride it too,  it looks cool, we need to ride something for us big kids, etc, etc.
It was a TERRIBLE ride - 6 of us crammed into this metal thing that was supposed to look like a small submarine, with windows on each side and the entire ride was in the dark.  The illusion was supposed to be 'underwater' with fish, people and aliens.  It scared both little kids.  My niece ended up having nightmares.
I was SO frustrated when we left there.  80 minutes of my life  - I WILL NEVER GET BACK. My mother-in-law, who never says anything bad - even piped up to say what a waste of 80 minutes.
Amen sister!

So by now, I've had it.  The kids are tired, we are all hot, sweaty, and disappointed. More than anyone - it is my husband that I had to convince it was time to leave!!! A few dirty looks and choice remarks later - he realized it was time we start making our way OUT!
Stops for ice cream, T-shirts, Cokes, a Mickey Mouse music baton, a Tinkerbell spritzing fan, and a Cowboy Mickey Mouse popcorn bucket later...we FINALLY made it to the gate! Then two hours on a bus to get us back to the first train station.
On the way we decided that my mother-in-law and I would take the kids on ahead IN A CAB to the house and let my husband stop by McDonald's to pick up a quick, late dinner, so that we could start getting the kids ready for bed.  Taking the cab was supposed to make it all quicker! As the cab pulled away - we realized my husband still had the house keys!  Brilliant.

Sitting on the porch, worn out, waiting for my husband to get home - my son and his cousin are chasing the oldest cousin and they run directly into each other. Fall, skid on the concrete and both begin to WAIL.  Blood, tears, and screams filled my neighborhood.
And so was the end to my perfect day...in amusement park hell!


Deeds
side note:   since this fateful day, my husband has decided that from here on out, through the rest of our son's life - when they go to the amusement parks - I get to go and stay at the hotel while spending my "theme park time" at the pool  and the spa. 
I have smartly agreed - it'll be best for all involved!


No comments: