Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My THIRD Earthquake

Yesterday, we had another earthquake.
Here they would classify it as "a little one"...6.6


Some people didn't even know we had one.  (how that's possible is BEYOND me)  - Do they just walk around on "shaky legs" throughout their regular day?  Like someone who has the wobbly - I might be drunk walk? I just don't see how its possible not to feel these earthquakes. Or how its possible to not feel the building you are in slowly start to sway, or to hear the walls creak as they start to move?  Its creepy - period.


Anyway,
yesterday, 12:15pm...I was in the car on the top floor of a parking garage and I had finished loading my wares and just happened to be backing out of the parking spot.  As most people do - I was backing out SLOWLY, looking for other cars...and all of a sudden  - my car started shaking side-to-side and I thought "I've hit a HUGE pothole".  And I mean car shaking to the point that my head would have bounced off one shoulder pad to the other (had it been the 80s and had I been wearing them)!
So I slowed down trying to "look" at what I had run over.  Nothing.
Then I saw the car beside me rocking side-to-side.  It looked like someone was behind it, pushing it, trying to tip it over.  Yes, it was rocking that much. 


So I stopped and waited.
All of about 10 seconds ~ and it was over.


Nothing more.  No tsunami.  No panicked people running & screaming.  Basically - no one even acted like anything happened. 
So I parked the car, got out, walked over to the side rail and just looked out over the water (yes, the only place to see the water is from the top of a building because of all the industry on the coastline).
I watched and waited.  NOTHING.  


I got back in the car and started my journey home.
All the while thinking to myself...I REALLY hope I am not here when the next BIG ONE hits.  And yes, they are predicting Japan is due to get one, a BIG one,  within the next few years!




The view from my shaky earthquake perch.  
Extremely thankful that this wasn't the last thing I ever saw!!!...the top of a Costco parking garage!!!




Rockin' and Rollin' (literally) in Japan~
Deeds

1 comment:

Along These Lines ... said...

They probably just thought Godzilla was back in the neighborhood again.